New Mexico
Environment Department

Contact Information:
(505) 827-2855 MAIN // 1-800-219-6157 (toll free)
Environmental Emergencies:
505-827-9329 (24 hrs)

Air Quality Bureau

Indoor Air Quality


The New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) does not regulate residential indoor air quality (IAQ). The following links may help you find the answers you need regarding IAQ.



Formaldehyde in Laminate Flooring:

New Mexico homeowners and residents who have questions or concerns about formaldehyde in general or in flooring can contact the New Mexico Department of Health’s Epidemiology and Response Division at 505-827-0006 and ask for the environmental health epidemiologist.  Additionally, the Environmental Health Epidemiology Bureau will add a section to its website ( to provide information, including the California EPA fact sheet: Flooring Made with Composite Wood Products (PDF).

The NMED’s Hazardous Waste Bureau does regulate formaldehyde but only as a commercial chemical product, i.e., in its pure chemical form, and then only when that is a waste.

If you are interested in IAQ health effects – you may want to contact the New Mexico Department of Health.

For asbestos concerns and general air quality issues – please see the NMED Air Quality Bureau’s Asbestos Web Page.

For information about radon and radon testing, please see the NMED Radiation Control Radon Web Page.

City of Albuquerque – Environmental Health – Air Quality

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Occupational Safety and Health Bureau (OSHA) have web sites specifically addressing various IAQ issues i.e.: