KAFB Bulk Fuels Facility – Jet Fuel Plume Remediation
Garden Information Sheet
The most common question asked of people working on the project is, “Is it safe to garden?” As explained in the fact sheet, the answer is “Yes.”
Risk and Exposure Information Sheet
This dashboard addresses human exposure and risk based on current monitoring data, and will be updated after the risk assessment is complete and submitted to the RFI. The versions below were last updated in August 2016.
- English (PDF) (graphics updated August 2016)
- Spanish (PDF) (graphics updated August 2016)
- Vietnamese (PDF) (graphics updated August 2016)
2019 Strategic Plan
- 2019 Strategic Plan (April 25, 2019)
- Plan Estratégico 2019 Fuga de Combustible en la Base de la Fuerza Aérea de Kirtland
- 2019 Strategic Plan public comments and NMED response
2018 Strategic Plan
- 2018 Strategic Plan (July 11, 2018)
- 2018 Strategic Plan public comments and NMED response to comments
- 2018 NMED Fuel Clean-Up Org Chart
2017 Strategic Plan
- 2017 Strategic Plan (Final version – April 3, 2017)
- 2017 Strategic Plan public comments and NMED response to comments
2016 Strategic Plan
- 2016 Strategic Plan (Final – Version 2.0 – March 1, 2016)
- 2016 Strategic Plan public comments and NMED response to comments
2015 Strategic Plan
- 2015 Strategic Plan (Final version – April 8, 2015)
- 2015 Strategic Plan public comments and NMED response to comments
Key Work Plans and Related Documents
*for additional documents, please see the Hazardous Waste Bureau’s KAFB permit page.
RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) Report
A description, supporting data, and results for investigations, monitoring events, and interim measures conducted at the Kirtland AFB Bulk Fuels Facility leak project site.
Risk Assessment Report
Am evaluation of the potential for human and ecological exposure to, and potential risks from such exposures to, contaminants of potential concern related to the historical fuel leak at the Kirtland AFB Bulk Fuels Facility site.
Addressing EDB Phase of Contamination
Work Plan for the Bulk Fuels Facility Expansion of the Dissolved-Phase Plume Groundwater Treatment System Design
Covering quarterly groundwater monitoring activities, QAPP, Ground Water Treatment System monitoring and expansion, and future well installation for groundwater monitoring, extraction, and injection.
Rapid Response Action, Additional Data Gap Groundwater Monitoring Wells and Expansion of Groundwater Extraction Work Plan
|Groundwater Extraction Pilot Implementation and Additional Plume Characterization Letter Work Plan
Original Submitted August 1, 2014 and amended as necessary
Final Basis of Design – Mid-Plume Pump & Treat System
Technical approach and design parameters to be used in development of EDB pump & treat system.
Addressing Vadose Zone Soil Vapor Phase of Contamination
Work Plan for Bioventing and Air-Lift Enhanced Bioremediation Pilot Tests
Addresses proposed pilot tests for implementation in the vadose zone.
Work Plan for Vadose Zone Coring, Vapor Monitoring, and Water Supply Sampling
Addresses activities to be performed to fill existing data gaps in the delineation of LNAPL nature and extent in the vadose zone, as well as collect regular soil vapor and drinking water supply monitoring data.
Pilot SVE Shutdown Test Work Plan
Addresses respiration, short-term testing and long-term testing on selected soil vapor monitoring wells. Data from test will be used in design of SVE system expansion.
Soil Vapor Monitoring and Drinking Water Monitoring
Addresses quarterly soil vapor monitoring and drinking water supply well sampling.
Addressing LNAPL Phase of Contamination
Review & Comment on LNAPL Interim Options, Independent Technical Review Panel, Thomson & Associates, June 22, 2015
Ethylene Dibromide In-Situ Biodegradation Pilot Test Work Plan
Addresses multi-phased pilot test to investigate and augment in-situ bioremediation of EDB in groundwater.
Ground Water Quality Bureau Discharge Permit #1839 Issued Final
The NMED Ground Water Quality Bureau (GWQB) issued a final discharge permit discharges via Class V underground injection control (UIC) well(s). The permitted discharge is limited to treated effluent associated with the interim measure to treat EDB-impacted groundwater.
NMED and USAF Sign Agreement to Reimburse State for Regulatory Activities
The New Mexico Environment Department and U.S. Air Force have executed an agreement worth $750,000 to fund the continuing regulatory activities associated with clean-up of the jet fuel leak at Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque.
Technical Reports and Papers
- Application of PHREEQC for Evaluating Precipitation of Reactive Phases During Injection of Treated Effluent Water at Well KAFB-7, Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, New Mexico by Patrick Longmire, Ph.D., New Mexico Environment Department
- Equilibrium geochemical calculations were performed using the computer program PHREEQC to quantify potential precipitation of calcite, amorphous SiO2,and amorphous Fe(OH)3 during injection of GAC-treated effluent at well KAFB-7.
- Reviewing Findings for RCRA Facility Investigation Report, Bulk Fuels Facility Release, Solid Waste Management Unit ST-106/SS-111, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico, dated June 29, 2017 by John Signda, PhD. and Eileen Marcillo, INTERA Incorporated
- Technical memorandum from INTERA Incorporated on behalf of the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority on the January 2017 RCRA Facility Investigation Report submitted by the Air Force to the NMED
Technical Working Groups
- List of participants and biographies (updated November 17, 2015)
Public Meeting and Field Trip Presentations & Handouts
Please see the “Public Outreach & Participation” page.
Additional archive documents can be found on the NMED Hazardous Waste Bureau’s KAFB permit webpage
Also see the Kirtland Air Force Base project website.