New Mexico
Environment Department

Contact Information:
(505) 827-2855 MAIN // 1-800-219-6157 (toll free)
Environmental Emergencies:
505-827-9329 (24 hrs)

Permits & Licenses

NMED is responsible for providing the highest quality of life throughout the state by promoting a safe, clean, and productive environment. Federal and state regulations help guide us in that responsibility. Permits, licences, and certificates establish conditions to meet those regulatory requirements.

NMED issues and / or administers permits for state and federal regulatory programs.


IMPORTANT NOTICE :: When you provide a check as payment, you authorize the State of New Mexico to either use  information from your check to make a one-time electronic fund transfer  from your account or to process the payment as a check transaction.

Permits, Licenses, and Certificates Issued:


Air Quality

  • Construction Permits
  • Title V Permit
  • Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) Permit


Annual and Temporary permits:

  • Food Establishments – annual operating permit
  • Food Establishment Plan Review (Required for new, remodeled, facility conversion, or transfer of ownership of a food establishment).
  • Home-based food processing operation – Annual food permit
  • 1-3 Day Event – temporary food service permit
  • 4-7 Day Event – temporary food service permit
  • 8-30 Day Event – temporary food service permit




  • Medical Imaging & Radiation Therapy
    NM Professional Licensure for Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy Professionals, such as Radiography, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, and other diagnostic medical imaging licenses offered by the Department.


Hazardous Waste

  • Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Subtitle C permits
  • Special RCRA permits (such as Emergency permits, permits-by-rule, Research & Development permits
  • EPA Identification Numbers (LQG, SQG, CESQG, HW transporters, HW management facilities)

Liquid Waste

  • Household septic tank permit/registration

Solid Waste

  • Landfill permits (Municipal Solid Waste, Construction & Demolition Debris, Special Waste)
  • Infectious Waste Treatment Facilities permit
  • Transfer Station permits
  • Registrations for: Collection centers, Recycling facilities, Composting facilities, Tire processing/recycling facilities, Solid and special waste haulers, Tire haulers, Law enforcement pharmaceutical collection programs, Household hazardous waste collection programs.


Drinking Water – utilities

  • Utility Operator Certification (water and wastewater utility operators)


Ground Water – pollution prevention

  • Discharge permits (Agricultural, Domestic waste, Industrial)


Ground Water – mining

  • Discharge permits


Surface Water – Dredge-and Fill

  • Federal Dredge-and-Fill permits


Surface Water – point source discharges

  • Federal NPDES permits


Surface Water – utilities

  • Utility Operator Certification (water and wastewater utility operators)






The general procedure necessary to process a permit follows these steps:

  1. Application evaluated for completeness
  2. Filing fees collected
  3. Develop plan for evaluation of application
  4. Determine need for public notice
  5. Determine need for public hearing
  6. Accept public input
  7. Conduct evaluation to include testing and inspections
  8. Disapprove or approve with stated conditions
  9. Exercise signature authority
  10. Inform requester
  11. Process appeal of denial
  12. Forward for compliance monitoring